At Genospace, our mission is to deliver the platform that makes biomedical data useful and usable by everyone.
Working from our headquarters in Cambridge, MA, our interdisciplinary team is merging the tools and techniques of genomics, analytics, and cloud computing. We serve research, clinical development, pathology and clinical care customers who work with high-dimensional genomic and other biomedical data. Many of the most advanced precision medicine organizations are powered by Genospace.
Genospace is looking for talented team players who enjoy a challenge and want to help us deliver our platform. As the leading provider of information technology services in molecular medicine, our software is used today by clinicians and researchers across the country and around the globe to improve patient care.
What You’ll Do:
Genospace is looking for a DevOps Engineer who is excited at the prospect of solving novel problems. You should be eager to build useful tools to streamline system maintenance and automate ferociously. This position is ideal for someone who already has enough experience to be an effective individual contributor but would like to make a meaningful impact to a high throughput development organization.
As a DevOps Engineer you’ll work on expanding our platform capabilities to better serve our increasing customer base. Alongside product engineers, you’ll make a tangible impact on scalability and reliability of our underlying infrastructure. System-wide you will improve transparency by building monitoring capabilities to help understand and predict system faults. Above all you’ll help foster a learning culture within company mentoring junior engineers to be more effective.
As a DevOps Engineer you will:
- Take on a technical leadership role with systems engineering specialty
- Contribute to product delivery and product architecture
- Contribute to and be responsible for quality engineering infrastructure and practices
- Enforce best practices in code reviews and create and maintain style and development guides
- Originate technical objectives and execute them in parallel with sprint commitments
- Work with senior technical resources and use evidence to build a case for product technical design
- Actively identify platform enhancements and own their implementation
- Monitor production for degraded performance or anomalous behavior and take action to rectify the issue
- Participate in production releases and support
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong understanding of the Linux operating system including working with filesystems, processes, and networking components
- Ability to quickly identify problems and bottlenecks with both standalone systems and across clusters of machines
- Ability to manage and debug complex software stacks (Tomcat, Apache, Nginx, MongoDB)
- Proficiency in a common scripting language (Bash, Python)
- Working knowledge of how to manage VPCs and request routing across a multi-site infrastructure
- Proficiency with using Ansible to automate configuration management
- Familiarity with public key infrastructure, Nagios monitoring, log aggregation and MongoDB replication are a plus
- Experience transforming prototypes into high-quality, reliable and reusable platform components
- Ability to foresee and test against potential functional and scalability problems and own issues through resolution
- Ability to determine accurate and dependable delivery estimates
- Ability to identify areas of inefficiency and own the implementation of improvements
- A self-starter that uses good judgment in how best to apply their time effectively
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- Leadership ability including oversight of junior personnel and ability to identify team member weaknesses and work with individuals to maximize their effectiveness
Education & Background:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years’ experience working as a DevOps or Linux Systems Engineer or equivalent on the AWS platform
- No prior experience in life sciences is required but ample curiosity and a willingness to learn are a must
Genospace is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristics, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.